Working With a Senior Living Adviser: Choosing the Right Assisted Living Community
When an aging loved one reaches a point where they can no longer adequately take care of themselves, a difficult decision must be made. Oftentimes, this decision involves the family of the senior just as much as it does the senior themselves.
Frequently, this decision involves the process of helping the senior transition away from independent life. Common circumstances include:
- Family – Living with family members who provide help and care.
- Outside Assistance – Living in their home but with a health professional that visits and provides care on a regular basis.
- Senior Living Community – Living in a residential home where help is always nearby or a nursing home where help is constantly provided.
Because the decision is so difficult, complex, and personal, many families turn to a senior living adviser for help. Senior living advisers are experts in the field of long-term care and can help you make the right decision for your family.
Reasons to Work With a Senior Living Adviser
There are a significant number of reasons you should consider working with a senior living adviser. Senior advisers aim to help your loved one transition from independent living into a new environment. Important reasons include:
- Insider’s View – Senior living advisers know the ins and outs of senior living. Of all of the senior communities and other eldercare options in your area, senior advisers can find the perfect fit for you. They can give you an insider’s view of your options and help you pick the one that best fits with every want, need, and preference.
- Extensive Knowledge – Senior living advisers help seniors find new living arrangements as a career. The best advisers have extensive knowledge and experience in the field. Because of experience, they have the tools to make the transition as smooth as possible.
- Personalized Assistance – Senior living advisers strive to learn about who you are in order to find a perfect fit. They keep in touch with you through the entire process, from the initial discussion and search process to moving in. The best even keep in touch with you after the move to make sure that everything goes well.
- Saves Time – Sorting through all of the senior living options on your own is time-consuming, especially when you know little about them. Utilizing their resources can help make finding a new home for your loved one quick, easy, and as painless as possible.
What to Look For
Senior living advisers are not all created equal. Some are better than others. When looking for a senior living adviser, the first thing you should do is check their references. You can do this a few different ways:
- Be sure to ask references upon your first meeting.
- Check online reviews and the Better Business Bureau.
- Trust your gut. If you are working with an adviser that you feel doesn’t have your family’s best interest in mind, you’d be well off finding a new one that does.
The transition from independent to community living is hard on any senior and their family. Seeking the guidance of and working with a senior living adviser can make the life change easier and smoother. Placing your trust in a senior adviser can mean saving time and stress while gaining support and guidance when you need it most!
About the Author: John Winfrey Jr. received his Bachelor’s in 2015 from the University of North Texas after spending much of his 20’s traveling across the country. Majoring in Marketing and minoring in Journalism gave him the experience needed to write and research important topics like senior health. Senior health especially hits home as his veteran father was a senior who eventually became deaf and blind. John had to become as familiar as he could, quickly, to provide support for his father.